Monday, January 10, 2011

Miriam's Song

"Miriam's Tambourine" - Michoel Muchnik
Miriam, the prophetess, Aaron's sister, took a tambourine in her hand, and all the women came out after her with tambourines and with dances [Beshalach 15:20]

The righteous women did not delegate their responsibilities to their leader, Miriam the prophetess. Rather, each and every woman made for herself a tambourine, in a personal effort to trust in G-d's redemption and rejoice in it when it comes.

There is always a temptation to leave the responsibility of inspiring the people to Jewish leaders. However, we can learn from the righteous women in Egypt that it is every single person's obligation to inspire his or herself and all of the people that he or she comes into contact with.

Source: Sichas Shabbos Parshas Beshalach 5752, Lubavitcher Rebbe

4 comments:

Moriah said...

Funny, I've been thinking a lot about this lately -- about our responsibility as Jews not only to study Torah but to teach it and spread its light. I'm not confident I'm knowledgeable enough to do so and in my tiny community who do I teach it to? Sounds like excuses, no?

Devorah said...

Whenever the opportunity arises you can teach, even just by setting a good example for others to follow. You are probably already doing so, without knowing it.

Leah said...

Moriah,
Hi. I commented on a respectable website to a commenter's note and the mnoderator wrote to my email and asked if I would be a teacher to an unoffiliated Jew, because the moderator liked the way I responded to another Jew. I said I have no formal background yet have been studying as a ba'ales teshuva for 15 years and she and I talked and came to the conclusion based on what knowledge I DO have - not that which I lack I was qualified to teach this Jew. So, I got an ok form the moderator and am teaching (and learning , too :), from a sefer written by a Torah Jew....I am exstatic to be in this place at this time and it can happen for you. Also, keep in mind you can learn thru Partners in Torah with another chavrusa (study partner) and the two of you will learn.
Thank you Devorah for another beautiful day of Torah. G'shmak!

Moriah said...

That's wonderful, Leah. Thank you ;-)