Monday, April 11, 2011

To Bring the Redemption


The following story is attributed to Rabbi Yaakov Eizik Blatner of Tatrask, written by Rabbi Rafael Nachman Kahn, translated from the Hebrew by Basha Majerczyk

The tzaddik Rabbi Yisroel of Ruzhin related:

"Before he passed away my great-grandfather, the Maggid of Mezeritch, declared that he would refuse to enter Gan Eden until Moshiach redeemed the Jewish people from exile. And so it came about.  When the Maggid was nistalek (ascended to the upper worlds) the Heavenly Court had to convince him that the time was not yet ripe for the Redemption. The Maggid was ultimately won over, and he agreed to enter Gan Eden.

"His son, my grandfather Reb Avrohom "Der Malach" [the angel] insisted that he would not allow himself to be similarly seduced. "Under no circumstances will I enter Gan Eden until Moshiach comes!" he announced before his passing. But when G-d Himself dragged him by the arm and brought him inside, there was nothing he could do but go along with Him....

"My father, Reb Shalom [of Porovitz] declared himself immune to such tactics. "I will not enter Gan Eden until Moshiach comes, even if G-d Himself tries to force me!"  So what happened? When he absolutely refused to budge, G-d expanded the borders of Gan Eden so that my father suddenly found himself already there...

"As for me" the holy Ruzhiner concluded, "even that ruse will not work. I will merely jump out and flee until I succeed in bringing Moshiach."

No comments: