At least one person has been killed by a magnitude 5.8 earthquake that shook northern Italy, Italian media and officials say. [Update: 8 people confirmed dead]
The strong earthquake has hit just nine days after a quake in the same area killed at least six people and left thousands in makeshift tent dwellings.
The quake was felt throughout northern and central Italy, forcing the collapse of several buildings already weakened by the magnitude 6.0 quake which hit on May 20.
The US Geological Survey said the quake hit at 7.00am (local time) 40 kilometres north-north-west of Bologna at a depth of 9.6 kilometres.
Local media also said some people had been injured in the quake.
"There are victims... The situation is very serious, some people are stuck under the rubble," Alberto Silvestri, the mayor of the San Felice sul Panaro told Italian television channel SkyTG24.
More at: ABC
Cathedral in Mirandola collapsed: