Pages

▼

Thursday, September 24, 2026

The Sukkah and the Heavenly Hug


Wishing everyone a Chag Sameach !



Adapted from the Lubavitcher Rebbe’s teachings by Rabbi Y. Y. Jacobson

The Sukkah hut is frail and vulnerable, but its walls have basic specifications: They must be two full walls, plus a third wall of only 3.5 inches, measured in Hebrew as a ‘Tefach’ handbreadth. It’s okay to have 3 or 4 full walls; but the minimum is two plus a tiny bit of a third.

What is the spiritual significance of this tiny third handbreadth-size wall?

Anatomy of an Embrace
Two great Jewish thinkers, Rabbi Isaac Luria and Rabbi Schnuer Zalman of Liadi, turn our attention to the affectionate words uttered by the Bride in the Song of Songs: "His left arm is under my head, and His right arm embraces me."

These metaphors address two distinct moments in the relationship between G-d, the Groom, and His people, the Bride. During the Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur "days of awe," G-d's "left arm," as it were, is under the head of Israel. The left side represents introspection, strict discipline and awe.

Sukkos, on the other hand, is "the time of our joy," when “G-d's right arm embraces me."

Our arm is divided into 3 sections. The first is the arm itself, from the shoulder to the elbow; the second is the forearm, from the elbow to the wrist; and the third is from the wrist to the fingertips.

Our Sukkah walls represent the "right arm's embrace." The first full wall represents a Divine embrace from the "shoulder" to the "elbow;" the second wall reflects the "forearm," and the third tiny wall symbolizes the palm’s embrace.

Expressions of Love
There are three ways of expressing love.

The first is words. "I love you," when uttered sincerely, has impact. A second, more powerful expression of love is a kiss. A genuine kiss expresses a deep intense feeling that may not be grasped in words. Words can state, "I love you," while a kiss declares, "I love you more then I will ever be able to tell you."

An embrace is a third expression of love.

Dissecting the Hug
Which form of love do children cherish most?

Children enjoy being spoken to. They certainly take pleasure from being kissed. Yet, most children, especially infants, cherish being hugged. When our children hurt themselves or break something, they cry and come running to their parents for a hug to calm them down and to restore their confidence.

Two significant features set apart an embrace from the other "love communicators."

Affection is directed primarily toward the face of the beloved. You speak to one's face, kiss one's cheeks or lips, or gaze at one's eyes. An embrace involves the nape and back of the one being embraced.

Another feature that distinguishes an embrace is the firm physical bond of a hug. When I utter words of love, even when I kiss, I am not holding on to you. But when I embrace you, even if you wish to escape my embrace, you are "trapped" in my gripping hug; I don't let you tear yourself away from me.

Two forms of love
There is reciprocal love and unconditional love. The first is directed to the face of the beloved one; the second is directed to the back of the beloved.

I may love you because of what I receive in return for my relationship. You may be wise, deep, sensitive, kind, beautiful, humorous, challenging etc. - qualities expressed through your face, eyes, ears and mouth - and I love you because of these or other qualities that enrich my life.

This type of love is communicated in words of affection, or in a kiss, directed toward the face of the beloved, the primary location of reciprocity. Expressing my attachment in these forms shows that I cherish you because of your qualities.

This love may be deep and can bestow blessings and fulfillment. Yet it is conditional on reciprocity. As long as you are here for me, I am here for you. In essence, I love you because I love myself, and you make my "self" so much deeper and happier.

Yet there is a deeper love of an embrace, in which my arms encircle your backside. The hug represents an unconditional, unqualified and absolute love. It is not about your face, it is about your back, an area lacking meaningful reciprocity. I don't love you because of me; I love you because of you. You may not give me anything in return for my love, you may even want me out of your life, but I still love you with all my heart.

Do you embrace your children?
That’s why children need their parents to embrace them.

When children get hurt or break something, they are searching for affirmation that their validity was not compromised. They are yearning to hear that their value does not depend on them being perfect and impeccable, but that their dignity is absolute. "Show me," asks the child, "that you love me unconditionally because of who I am and not because of what I achieve."

When a child cries because their finger is bleeding, and you simply place a band aid on the wound and go away, you may have forfeited the opportunity to teach your child the most important lesson: Your dignity stems from your very being. Even when you will fall in life and bleed badly, your very being and identity is indispensable.

We also relate to G-d on these two levels.

All year around, G-d's light relates to us as a result of the choices we make. The more we rise to the higher truth, the more we hear G-d’s silent voice resonating in our souls.

Throughout the year, we experience G-d's presence only through our efforts and toil to refine our behavior. When we meditate, pray, reflect, study and live morally and holy, we catch a glimpse of G-d's love toward us. When I work against my immoral temptations and cravings, I can at times sense a reciprocal kiss from G-d.

Throughout the year, we enjoy a reciprocal relationship with G-d. G-d might talk to you, He may even kiss you or gaze at you, but You must show Him your face. If you don't turn your back on Him, He will be there for you.

But during Sukkot, G-d shares His love unconditionally and embraces us.

We eat, drink, chat, and relax in a Sukkah- all mundane activities with little spirituality. Yet when performed in the Sukkah, these acts are a Mitzvah, a medium through which we relate to Him.

The Sukkah walls are saying: I love and cherish you not because of what you do for me or because of what I gain from you. I am attached to you not because of your spiritual sophistication or because of your noble pursuits. I love you because I love you. I am one with you as you are. I am in love with your very core.

So for a real good hug, spend time in a Sukkah.

Sustaining the Embrace
Each Jewish holiday leaves us with a special energy that affects the entire year. This Divine “hug” even while we are in a physical mode, empowers and inspires us to transform our physical and mundane endeavors throughout the year into tools through which to bring Divine light into the world.

22 comments:

  1. Love this explanation … wishing everyone here a most happy Sukkot ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a dream. The dream was in 3 parts. In the first two parts I saw 2 big tzaddikim and each time with both of them I knew they were there but I couldn't get close. In the third part of the dream I was picking up small tiles almost like rummikub pieces or mahjong pieces. An each time I chose a piece I turned it over and found a drawing of a tiny sukkah on it. Three times I chose a tile and it had the sukkah on it. Then I woke up.
    The dream doesn't feel random, it feels like a message. I know it has something to do with Hashem I just am still trying to work out the message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting dream! I guess you don't know who the tzaddikim were ??

      Delete
    2. The three sukkot might represent the three Batei Mikdash. The "fallen sukkah of David" represents the Third Temple...

      The phrase "the fallen sukkah of David" (Sukkat David HaNofalet) comes from a prophecy in the Book of Amos (Amos 9:11): "On that day I will raise up the fallen sukkah (tabernacle/tent) of David, and wall up its breaches...".In Jewish liturgy, this phrase is famously recited every year during the Grace After Meals for the festival of Sukkot.

      Many classical Jewish commentators, such as the Mahari Kara, explicitly state that the "sukkah" refers to the Beit HaMikdash (the Holy Temple). In this context, praying for God to "restore the fallen sukkah of David" is a direct petition for the rebuilding of the Third Temple in Jerusalem.

      PS: Devorah, any idea why your blog roll is not updating? Moadim l'simchah l'kulam!!

      Delete
    3. I didn't realize it wasn't updating, that's very annoying. It must be a Blogger issue, but all it tells me is there must be something wrong with the feed links. However, the feed links have not changed. I will try deleting and re-installing it.

      Delete
    4. Other people have reported the same issue, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

      Delete
    5. I re-did the Blog List, now it's not showing any updates at all. That was not my intention, but that's what it's doing at the moment. I hope the issue is fixed soon.

      Delete
  3. comes to mind the stones found on Har Sinai...
    -leah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I know....
    The first part of the dream was the Yanuka from Rishon. The second part of the dream was the Lubavitcher Rebbe, he was in 770 and I couldn't see him and I remember question someone saying its been 30 years and I remember being informed that the Rebbe was alive and had been hidden and concealed in 770 and that he has been healing all this time. (I am not a mashiachist in real time - and I remember gimmel tammuz happening.) I was upset because I could not get close to either Tzaddik. Then in the 3rd part of the dream I was selecting the small tiles and I kept turning over the tile I chose and finding a sukkah. What do you think that means?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to attempt to interpret the dream, but I will say a couple of things.

      Firstly, as you didn't see the Rebbe in the dream, it was not an official "Rebbe dream" - and also the information that he has been hidden in 770 for 30 years is not true.
      He left this world in 1994 but since then he has appeared in thousands of peoples' dreams. As it says in the Talmud "Tzadikim never die" they continue to live on in their teachings and in the case of the Rebbe in the many dreams he has appeared in.
      He also told Rabbi Chaim Gutnick ztz"l that he would never appear in a dream without his permission [which means that a demon cannot impersonate him]. I heard that from the son of Rabbi Gutnick.

      But you said you didn't see him, and the information you were given was not 100% true because although he may "live on" in Shamayim, he is not living in 770.

      When you woke up from the dream, how did you feel? Did you feel confused or happy, or scared? Was it a good feeling?

      I know there are people who believe the Yanuka could be the Moshiach, but there is no proof for this belief. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not.

      It could be that something connected to Moshiach could be happening during Sukkot.
      But I'm not sure that you had a prophetic dream because of the false information given to you regarding the hiding of the Rebbe in 770; That's why I'm asking how you felt when you woke up. After a prophetic dream, you would feel amazing. There would not be confusion or false information given.

      But all dreams contain an element of falsehood, so it's difficult to know if your dream was trying to tell you something prophetic or not. That's why I'm asking how you felt when you woke up.

      Delete
    2. Confused....I know the Rebbe is not in a guf gashmi...but to me he is still very much alive in the most important way.
      Confused because there was a message there and I feel too dense to understand it

      Delete
  5. What an amazing speech at the UN by Netanyahu. All those morons who walked out.... they can't handle the TRUTH. Yasher koach to Netanyahu, he deserves success and brachot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kol hakavod to him for walking into that lion's den. We all knew there would be a big walkout, but he didn't go there to speak to them. Some kapo rushed to write an editorial defending Mamdani. So while nothing changed in the minds of all the Israel haters, they got to see a strong Jew ready and able to defend his people.

      Delete
  6. BH
    Only wish he mentioned HaShem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did.

      This is from Hillel Fuld's FB page:

      "Netanyahu ended his UN address with "THE ETERNAL ONE OF ISRAEL DOES NOT LIE."

      That is Hashem.

      Delete
    2. I remember hearing him say something to the effect of "be'ezrat Hashem" in his speech

      Delete
    3. Everyone in Israel says b'ezrat HaShem, even the secular Israelis. They also say "Shabbat Shalom" from their car window! I do wish he would include Hashem more when speaking to the world, but it's not the image he's trying to project. So, he is what he is.

      Delete
    4. I think it's beautiful that "everyone" says it--even the secular. And that's one of the ways that we're a Jewish country

      Delete
  7. BH
    That’s wonderful, proud of him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting shiur from Rabbi Daniel Glatstein https://torahanytime.com/lectures/480670

    ReplyDelete