Monday, May 26, 2014

Love Packages


by  Rabbi Aron Moss

Question of the Week:

My son recently died in an accident. I would like to know if he can see or hear us here on earth. Is he still aware of us now that he is in Heaven? Your comments would be appreciated.

Mum missing her son.

Answer:

The mystery of death is one that we cannot truly understand. Why some souls come down here for so short, only to be taken away from us, we cannot explain.

But we know that only the body dies, not the soul. And it is the soul of a person whom we love. Our connection with our loved ones is not with their physical presence, but their person, their love, their spirit. And that relationship never goes away. It just takes another form.

The Rebbe once spoke to a mother who was inconsolable after the loss of her son. He said to her: "What if I told you that your son isn't dead? Rather he has gone away to a place where he is safe and happy. He feels no pain, he has no fear, he has no regrets. You can't see him. But you can send him love packages, and he will receive them and enjoy them. If I told you this, would things be different?"

She thought about it and said, "Well, I guess the pain would not be quite so unbearable if I knew he was safe and I could tell him I love him."

"Well," the Rebbe said to her, "this is the case. Your son is in heaven where he is at peace. And he can still feel your love. The love packages you send to him are the mitzvos, the good deeds you do in his memory and in his honour. When you give a coin to charity, say a prayer, light a candle, be kind to those in need, and you have him in mind, he receives a flow of love from you every time. His soul up there is elevated when down here you do good inspired by his memory. Channel your grief into a positive force. Let the vacuum caused by the loss draw more light into the world."

Nothing can replace the physical touch of a hug, the pleasure of seeing your child grow and learn and play. But he is still with you. And he knows that he is blessed with a loving mother who will always think of him.
We don't know why it has to be this way. But one day, we will be reunited with the souls of our loved ones, and the pain will be no more. May that day come soon.

15 comments:

Leah said...

Beautiful, simply beautiful. I like the expression love package. I can visualize this. I always ask Hashem that should my request be with merit to please allow my brother; father; relative etc to know that I did a mitzvah in their memory and to let them know that I love them and to exert themselves because Moshiach is on his way.....

Anonymous said...

Ditto to Leah's comment. May we all be reunited with our loved ones soon with the coming of Moshiach Tzdkeinu, b'rachamim, in a blink of an eye.

Anonymous said...

I also lost a child, my first born son.
This is just a Thank You for writing and posting this!!!
One of the little things I came to do, is that I made a list of names, of friends, parents, relatives, that are departed, gone.
I keep a bag of dimes in my lunch bag for work.Everyday day, I put a dime in honor of 'each' name that I say 'out loud'. In honor of...In honor of, etc. Thanks again for the post.

Leah said...

I am so sorry "anonymous" that you lost your precious first born son. i lost a baby in the womb; my brother and my father. It is more than not easy, yet I know that we will see them one day. Hold on to faith and keep doing what you are doing. The rebbaim say we are standing on the threshold of the Geulah (the redemption.) Hold on, hold on.

Anonymous said...

I am Noahide. I long for Mashiach too.
I lost my 4th baby, a beautiful boy. He was born with a defected heart. I got to hold him in my arms before they put him in the incubater. The next day he passed away. His little heart gave out. I was inconsolable. The second time I held him, my baby was dead. they allowed me to see him to dress him, for his brothers to see him, before the funeral.
I ask Hashem each day, to tell my parents, my sons, my other loved relatives, that i love them. Please, Hashem will hear goyim too? I believe He does He will. But sometimes i wonder if its just the chosen. then i say 'nay' , we were all created by Him.
May all mothers see happiness. Most of all may Mashiach come now. too much pain and suffering in the world. Hashem bless us all. Amen.

Anonymous said...

Hashem hears everyone who prays to the One God, whether they are Jewish or not.

Neshama said...

During the first week, shiva, it is possible for the deceased to communicate with loved ones - my Mother consoled me Lil Shabbat of the Shiva. I heard her call me by my birth name. Then I knew she was alright.

Leah said...

I asked my rav if Hashem allows a goy or a Noachide to welcome someone to heaven when they pass away who is Jewish. My rav responded yes. My father was a Noachide and my brother was Jewish. My brother died back in 92. My father died in 2010. I asked Hashem to have give me a sign that my father and my brother have been reunited. (This was in 2010 a minute after I learned of my father's death.
My husband asked our (same) rav when I was out of the house if there was a special perek of tehillim that one could say for a non- Jew. (My father had just died etc...) I came back and my husband had told me he asked the rav this question.
I anxiously awaited the reply. He said because Adam (the first man) authored some of the tehillim (psalms) and he was not Jewish therefore there was a particular perek of tehillim that I could recite for my father : psalm 92!!!!
It was a sign, I believe, that was given to me by Hashem that my brother welcomed our father in Heaven. I always referred to my brother's date of death as "he does in 92) vs giving the whole year eg: 1992..
They both died on the 13th of the month and it was 18 years apart.
Hashem hears all people and he definitely hears Noachides. I believe they have an extremely special place in Hashem's Heaven as well as in Hashem's non corporeal heart.
You were very blessed to have your son. Your womb is a very holy place. I am sorry that you lost your precious baby. Take care. You have a special place in this world as well as the world to come.

Anonymous said...

Leah, Thank you so very much for that beautiful reply. It has touched me deeply.
Hashem bless you and all your family.
I am too touched by your words. all i can say is again and again, Bless you, May you have love surround you. You made my day today.
Hugs to you.

Devorah said...

Thanks Leah.....

For all Noahides: learn with Rabbi David Katz at Soul Mazal Blog - specifically for Noahides !

Leah said...

Neshama, I agree. I heard my father call my husband's name out loud. I told my rav and he anxiously waited for me to continue because I had told him things before that I had experienced and so I knew he didn't think I was loony.. It does happen. It's a shout out from Heaven. I asked another rav and he said it's a communication....

Leah said...

((((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Devorah... you are Blessing all of us, including noahides, with such timely articles. Thank you so much. Just as of recently, we have learned that our precious little darling has a terminal disorder and we are facing losing him... all of these words that everyone writes is so comforting... HaShem is Good and knows our pain... He will give Strength where there is weakness... i believe and know this... Thank you ...Devorah and everyone for Words of Wisdom... There's no one else that id want to be connected to and learning from than the Jewish People going thru a time of this. You all bring great comfort. Baruch HaShem for all things...

Devorah said...

Thank you, but the thanks should probably go to Rabbi Moss who wrote it, and who is one of Sydney's best!

Anonymous said...

Thank you Rabbi Aron Moss for this article... very comforting words for all of us.