Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Blogs are a Lifeline


There was an anonymous comment posted at Yeranen Yaakov, which sums up why it's important the blogs continue.... 

Anonymous said...
I am probably the last person to be able to offer anything worthwhile on any of this, but I would like to say this: I was brought up in a secular home. These blogs, and the various thoughts and concepts expressed have been instrumental in helping me find my way back to Judaism. I am a middle aged, house bound disabled person, and these blogs have restored in me a desire to fight to heal and yet accept. It helped me to begin Torah study, and I have begun to learn Hebrew. It led, from one link to another, an opening of a world within myself, and a greater understanding of the world outside of myself. And now, from some of these sites, I am learning to daven. No medical team of doctors could do this. Nor could the kind words from a friend. It was searching the internet and happening onto blogs such as this. So, before anyone thinks of pulling the plug, think about this, and how it affected someone you did not know existed.

If you've ever been unwell and stuck at home, the internet is a life-saver.
If you live in a part of the world where you have no synagogue, community or rabbi, again the internet is your life-saver. 

I know what it's like to be stuck at home because for several years I was, due to a major illness which B"H has pretty much disappeared now.   I also know what it's like to have no rabbi available to ask questions, and so I use the internet rabbis, without whom I'd be in big trouble. Thanks to all of you who answer me..... much appreciated.

4 comments:

AmericanKnitter said...

Exactly.

Well said.



I think all bloggers go through these times of self examination and self doubt and just plain old burn out. Let's face it, this is still a new and unique medium that gives tremendously to the world. But it can take a toll on the writer.

Sometimes we need to take a step back and let our wells fill back up with living water before we can continue to share what comes from the depths of our hearts.

in the vanguard said...

The internet is not just "some" invention. It has to do with furthering the goal for which the world was created - to take it to its ultimate level, to that of the Era of Redemption.

Here this is discussed more elaborately:
http://hezbos.blogspot.com/2011/06/main-purpose-for-internet.html

The person who found Judaism by blogging is an excellent example of that assertion.

Anonymous said...

the internet has brought the light of the holy torah to the darkest places of the world where jews from the holy land are forbidden. it was not until the coming of the internet that some third world countries which had been fooled by the missionaries actually heart of the 7 laws and it is in such places that israel has managed to play the pivotol role of a light to all nations. thank Hashem for His mercies.

Anonymous said...

As one who is very hesitant writing anything online, I must say that my life has also been tremendously affected by these blogs. I am thankful to all of you in the Geula Blog world for writing and publishing everything that you all do... Tizke le'Mitzot.

I simple yid living Latin America.

Thanks again