Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Appreciation




by Rabbi Eli Mansour

“The nation settled in Kadesh; Miriam died there and was buried there. The nation had no water…” [Chukat 20:1-2]

Why did Bnai Yisrael suddenly run out of water when Miriam died?

Rashi explains that as Bnai Yisrael traveled through the desert, a miraculous, mobile well accompanied them to ensure that they would have a constant, adequate water supply. This well was provided in the merit of Miriam, an exceptionally righteous woman and prophetess, and once she died, the well was taken away, leaving the people without water.

The question, however, remains, why didn’t the well remain even after Miriam’s death? Was her great merit insufficient to continue providing the nation with water even after she passed on?

The Keli Yakar [Rav Shelomo Efrayim Luntschitz of Prague, 1550-1619] offers a remarkable explanation. He notes that when the Torah reports the death of Miriam, it simply states that she died and was buried. No mention is made of eulogies or mourning, in contrast to the Torah’s accounts of the deaths of Aharon and Moshe, where it is explicitly mentioned that the nation wept for the loss of their leader. It seems, the Keli Yakar observes, that the people were not moved by Miriam’s death, and did not properly eulogize or mourn for her. They failed to appreciate the fact that their constant water supply was directly and solely due to her. God therefore took away the well so that the people would appreciate what an exceptionally righteous person they lost. As they did not properly appreciate the miracle of the well and Miriam’s greatness which provided it, it had to be taken away.

The Keli Yakar’s insight teaches us the importance of appreciating everything we have while we have it. If we take everything we have for granted, then God is compelled to take it away, Heaven forbid, so we can appreciate just how valuable it is.

Unfortunately, we take so many things for granted in our lives. People do not generally appreciate their vision until, God forbid, they or someone they know suffers vision loss. We do not appreciate our health until, God forbid, we or someone we know takes ill. We do not appreciate our children until we meet a childless couple.

Each morning, we are required to recite a series of Berachot thanking Hashem for things that may appear simple and trivial. First and foremost, we recite “Elokai Neshama” to thank God for restoring our soul, for enabling us to wake up in the morning. We recite the Beracha of “Poke’ah Ivrim” to thank Him for our eyesight, “Malbish Arumim” to thank Him for our clothing, “Zokef Kefufim” to thank Him for allowing us to stand up straight, and “She’asa Li Kol Sorki” to thank Him for our shoes. We receive all these gifts, and so many more, each and every day, and our Sages who composed the liturgy wanted to ensure that we thank God for each one of them.

These blessings, like most of our blessings, are not fully appreciated until they are taken away from us. I once saw somebody I know running out of a burning building in a bathrobe; he was at the gym when a fire erupted, and he had no time to put on his clothes. This is when I appreciated the Beracha of “Malbish Arumim.” When we hear of somebody who wrenched his back during the night, we appreciate the Beracha of “Zokef Kefufim.” The Beracha of “She’asa Li Kol Sorki” came into focus for me after a bizarre experience I had once when I traveled to Mexico City to deliver a lecture in a large synagogue there. The hotel in which I stayed offered a free shoeshine service, whereby guests leave their shoes outside their room at night and then have it returned shined early the next morning. So, I left my shoes outside the room, and when I opened my door the next morning to go to the synagogue for Shaharit and my lecture…they were not there. I went down to the lobby to meet the people who had come to take me to the synagogue, and they saw me there without any shoes. This is when I appreciated the Beracha of “She’asa Li Kol Sorki,” that even the shoes on our feet should never be taken for granted.

Rav Avigdor Miller [1908-2001] would occasionally put his head in a sink full of water for several moments, until he needed to come out of the water for air. He explained that he wanted to feel grateful for the air we breathe at every moment of our lives. In order to truly feel appreciative, he deprived himself of air for several moments, during which time he was able to appreciate how precious the air is.

Part of the reason why it’s so difficult for us to appreciate our blessings in life is because we’re so busy complaining about our “problems.” These “problems” are things like traffic jams, a flat tire, a head cold, a misbehaving child, or a broken piece of furniture. When our emotional energy is expended on worrying about these “problems,” we are not able to feel happy and grateful for our blessings – that we have a spouse, children, a roof over our heads, a source of livelihood, friends, clothing to wear, and so on.

One Rabbi recommended that we each compile a list of ten blessings in our life and keep this piece of paper with us when we pray the daily Amida. When we reach the Modim section, in which we thank God “for Your wonders and favors that are given at all times,” we should look at the list so we can be grateful for the particular blessings in our lives. This will help us experience true gratitude, and appreciate what we have while we have it, so that the Almighty will continue showering us with these blessings and not, Heaven forbid, take them away from us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Devorah, it's OK by me if you find this too intense to publish:

Firstly, this segment was interesting, as well as the part about you lecturing in Mexico City, though i can't say I'm surprised! Speak of Miriam's well, I guess you realize there's a similar "persona non grata" attitude toward contemporary women in various frum communities.

Now, as for taking stuff for granted, here's where it's getting intense, and which i've no doubt readers will find boringly "self-centered" despite that from my end, it's an open-invitation to refute: As someone in near survival-mode, i'm not in a position to take much for granted (i.e. neither spouse, children, friends, or clothing). Aging spinster is my status, and with friends none of who've been where i've been. And most times, none can advise/help with my complex issues.

As for clothes? From squat, it's been difficult for me to find comfortable shoes, that's how different my feet are. Go find shoes like these in size 6-wide at reasonable cost:
https://ibb.co/wQNYRPx
Go find Crocs that fit comfortably. They usually skip davka my size. (After all, if you appreciate Acronyms, USA is Uno Size All, as with Unholy Sodom Amorah. And go try getting help via Unhealthcare Sickcare Associates. Indeed, that's the reason I feel comforted when I hear Jared Rand (with MarkZ) scoff at current healthcare, even IF he turns out to be a supreme actor.

Now back to the topic of "taking clothing for granted" - I wear little boys size 4.5 SmartFit fishermen sandals as house slippers, after cutting off the straps. I once spent hours at a shoe-store, and that's all I found that fit without pain (I have painful tailors bunions no thanks to my genetically-sized feet combined with poor availability of my size). And any of those professional cut-out gels such as pediFix, however thin, make footwear too tight, and merely fall off. The company rep. said I'm the only one who ever told her about their gel-bandage falling off.

Note too that socks that would keep my feet warm, would make footwear too tight, and that only little boys size 8-9 socks fit, though i have to cut off the tight elastic, thus they roll over.

By now the little-boy slippers are all worn out, yet i'm still wearing them. I treasure them the way Holocaust inmates used to treasure the rags enveloping their feet. So nope, i don't take clothing "for granted".

Podiatry and vascular are an avoda zara - ALL failed to help my severe issues, most are uncaring, and one of the podiatrists (Giveret tinkle-bell-voice) was treacherous to the Nth degree. Twice, at various times, foot doc's sent me to be fitted for computerized insoles. Both pairs proved useless, they killed me. THOUGH, SUZANNAH, I DULY NOTE THAT I'M STILL ALIVE TO TELL THE TALE.
(I hope you enjoyed the upper-case comic relief)

The 2nd pair was Langer biomechanics'. Thigh-high hosiery for severe varicose don't fit me either, and i don't dare to wear waist high, since pressure causes damage to my painful thoracic osteoarthritis, and we're talking spandex! As an aside, the tyrannical FDA has not approved SonoVein which is available in the UK. In any case, it's too expensive.

So - am I taking things for granted? It's hard to elaborate the full plethora. See, most people, including our lovely "Am HaNivchar" are clueless about physio anomalies. They're more into the type of pedantic censure which deadens souls. And that is why I "drool" when reading about secular neurologists endowed with the talent of mirror-touch synesthesia. I mean - to actually get to meet a neurologist who SIMPLY KNOWS non-pedantically? That to me would be akin to winning a lottery, though not quite. What would be superior to that, is if wishfully, one of Jared Rand's celestial contraptions could transmutate me into a physiology of my choosing.
M.M.

Anonymous said...

...oops this is embarrassing, I just now realize this was by Rabbi Mansour. Sorry i overlooked that. I actually thought you lectured in Mexico! It's gratifying that Rabbi Mansour displays such sensitivity about women. But the rest of what I wrote is still relevant.
M.M.

Devorah said...

MM you really have a talent for writing and making your difficult journey entertaining. You should start a blog or something.

annie said...

馃憤馃憤

Anonymous said...

Ahem.. I'm not a natural comedian, but I took a stab at it, realizing there's a limit to the measure of angst most people can handle in one sitting. For example, I know that most people find Holocaust books difficult reading. But I was able to handle reading Holocaust books, because believe it or not, my experience was even more difficult than [at least some Survivors'] experiences. For example "Faith at the Brink" by Lehmann - his was an easier experience. But its true most were horrific, especially Anna Eilenberg's "Breaking My Silence".

Something else I must emphasize, is that during school years, I was given no choice but to sit and swallow every misguided thing teachers said. And there was lots they said that was totally irrelevant to my reality. Do you think that was fun? That's why, whenever lectures/ers are featured saying things which aren't the whole truth, I've been setting the record straight. Despite, that they themselves continue to remain ensconsed within the comfort-zones of their Non-Holistic truth.

But I think I've made my point by now, and so I hope to refrain from party pooping on your blog, even if it kills me & I remain alive to NOT tell the tale!

BTW, would you rather I also not post any more non-sequiturs or songs which might interest (such as Dovid Lichtenstein's headlines, or Rad Halaila Dudaim)?
M.M.