Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Imposter Sydrome



Disgraced Prince Andrew's daughter, Princess Beatrice, has spoken about her  'imposter syndrome'  which apparently is a psychological disorder defined as a collection of feelings of inadequacy that persist despite evident success.  ''Imposters'' suffer from chronic self-doubt and a sense of intellectual fraudulence that override any feelings of success or external proof of their competence.  I must admit I had never heard of this particular syndrome before now, but it rang a few bells for me.

I often think I'm an imposter, and I shouldn't be on the internet at all.  To remedy this, I immediately put up another blog post.  Of course, I believe it is the yetzer hara trying to prevent me blogging about Moshiach.   Now I have another name for it.... 'imposter syndrome'..... I guess there's a term for everything these days.

You need a thick skin to be a blogger with a wide audience, and I don't have a thick skin, I am extremely sensitive.  I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to delete my blog, or just turn it off and keep it for myself only, use it as a filing system [which is actually how it began - it was my virtual filing cabinet where I would post any article that I wanted to refer to later, which had a relevance to my life].

There are some very disturbed people out there, some just leave nasty comments and others have their own blogs where they attack from the safe comfort of their own site.  I  generally don't read these blogs, but occasionally when I have some waiting time and I check them out, I never fail to be amazed that they are still ranting about the same stuff over and over again, attacking others and getting facts wrong.... deliberately mis-reading and or mis-quoting and sticking a knife into their rival bloggers' latest post.

I used to publish every comment I received, with the exception of the obvious scammers or Xtian links, but over the past six months I've been deleting quite a few because they are cruel.  I guess some of these people have issues with themselves and are venting at the nearest outlet that touches a nerve.... hopefully they will get the point and move on, as their bitterness is not welcome here.

Disagree with me all you like, that's fine, but please do it kindly and I'll publish you. I'm not really sure what I write that needs disagreements anyway, I steer clear of controversy for that reason.  

Imposter syndrome.... a new term for the yetzer hara or, as I choose to think of it, a new term for hateful bloggers and commenters... they are im-posters.




13 comments:

Leah said...

Very nice, Devorah. So true. Yetzer hara-imposter syndrome. Wow.
Here, I'll also take some flack:
Moshiach is coming very very very soon!!!!
Whew! Hashem is One. His Torah is truth!!!
Keep on keepin on, Devorah!!!
I appreciate you and all you do!!!!

Devorah said...

Thanks Leah 馃尫

D'vorah said...

It is not an exaggeration to say that my Torah path has been altered (for the better in immeasurable ways) because of several links on your blog. May the Holy One grant you thicker skin. :-)

Bambi said...

Dear Deborah:
I am an avid reader of your blog. You are to be commended for providing timely and truthful posts. You are giving readers an invaluable service by educating them; hence any negative, nasty comments only mean you hit the nerve of these ignorant people.
Kindly blog on and may G-d continue to bless you with strength and all that is good!

Deborah said...

Dear Devorah
Don't be coned by Impossible SIN Dromes. You have the courage, focus and Emes of Devorah HaNeviah in your name/soul root. The Negativites are desperate in their loosing battle to try to take down whomever they can,just before Moschiachs revelation. Remain the precious leader that you are to those who depend on you to lead.
Kos Maleh BrachoT
An other Devorah


Anonymous said...

I actually enjoyed this post.... We can all associate with it, one way or another.

As far as 'your' blog is concerned.... you're my first 'go to' blog for years now. Your internal 'Emes' seeps through all of your words. I don't know your level of 'frumkeit' or ' yiddishkeit', but we can all see your level of 'emeskeit'!

Keep going!

SK

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. I look forward to every post. Thank you so much!

Devorah said...

Thank you everyone, I didn't mean I was leaving, I was just being honest about things.

Lisa said...

Whenever you feel like you're an 'imposter,' please remind yourself of how many people choose to read your blog. You have helped so many...

Joe said...

Aussie saying "Keep on keeping on."

The darkest part of the night is just before the dawn.

We must all persevere until the end with complete emunah and bitachon. I know you will.

annie said...

Oh, Devorah... you should NEVER feel like you need to second guess posting on your blog... I dearly love your blog and it IS the first one I run to... You are being used by HaShem to keep us posted with the very latest ... and that keeps us all anticipating the coming of Moshiach... what a mitzvah you are doing.... and of course the yetzer hara is going to fight you.... You're doing what is right... he's fizzling out, like that dying star in outer space...

Please don't be discouraged.... your works so valuable... thank you... You're a messenger

Packing4Moshiach said...

Just like what many have said above.. your blog is saved on my “favorites” bookmark and is my first go to blog. After that I click on some other jewish blogs that you have linked. I rarely ever comment but I definitely enjoy reading all your posts. I’m sure there are many others who feel the same. So probably for everyone negative comment you get there are many many more followers who love what you post and support you. Please keep up the great work because it’s really hard to find people speaking your ideas openly. May HaShem bless you and all klal yisrael!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the chizuk. Light can be found on your page in the sometimes dark internet. Your postings and blog sharings are vital to humanity!